Wednesday, December 9, 2009

GRADUATION!!

So I graduated from Nursing School today. I was up till 1:30 this morning writing my speech. I was still not feeling too good about it. I met up with Camey, Bekah, Jen, and Tammy today at the Lincoln Center at 9am so we could decorate. Got that all done and had to go to school to get my second TB test read for WSU. I worked on the ending of my speech and re-wrote/finished it. I was feeling much better about it.

My parents and I went to dinner at Anthony's. They gave me a Journey Diamond Necklace for a graduation present. It's really pretty.

We went to the Lincoln Center and I got ready. It was fun. My speech went really really well. I got caught up in some of the words, but everyone laughed and gave me a ton of compliments afterwards. Kara recorded it so I will add a link to YouTube later. Here it is in written form.

We have come to the end of our shift here at SCC.
So as we all know it is time to document.
Let’s start with our I & O’s.
Our Intake and Output.
Our Gains and Losses.
The things we have taken in and things we’ve given out.

We have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge about nursing.
Even if sometimes we felt like we had lost our minds.

We have gained confidence in ourselves during clinicals.
Though we lost many hours away from family and friends.

We have gained new friends, and mentors.
And lost a few peers along the way.

We have gained a huge stack of textbooks.
And lost many hours of sleep studying from them.

Some of us have gained a lot of debt.
Though hopefully we soon will be gaining income.

We have all probably gained some weight….yes even me.
But at least we gained some great memories doing it.

And finally we have given out a tremendous amount of care and love for our patients.
Which I hope we never lose.

Remember it’s not only your patient’s I & O’s that matter.
It is important to measure our own gains and losses.
As we all know it is important to maintain balance and homeostasis in your body and in your life.
We all know what happens when things get off balance.
Seizure, coma, death.


Next let’s document our last set of vital signs.

Our blood pressure is probably the best it has been for the last twenty months. I’m sure we have all had spouts of hypertension with tests, quizzes, care plans, and papers.

Our pulse has slowed to a nice range between 60-100 beats per minute. While at times we have been tachycardic with unsure situations in clinical and waiting to get our grades.

Our oxygen saturation is at 98% on room air and respirations are at 16 breaths per minute now that we are no longer hyperventilating over how you really format an APA style paper.

Our temperature is normal. We are no longer hot and sweating during a clinical simulation test.

Finally we are at a 0 on that pain scale. All pointing to the happy face on the chart with the anticipation of graduating.


The last thing we document for a shift is the nurse’s note. So here is what it reads.

The students started off the shift nervous and excited with signs of confusion. As time went on anxiety levels rose. They were given Ativan in the form of knowledge. The Ativan was effective as the students were less anxious as they realized how much they actually did know. The students were put through many tests to help diagnose their knowledge levels. The tests were all within normal limits and showed no signs of abnormalities. Follow up with an NCLEX test is required to be sure the knowledge has been retained.

The students will be discharged this evening upon completion of graduation with newfound confidence and knowledge.

Finally we can hit F12 and log off.

As we log off and get ready to go let’s remember the Good parts of our shift, not dwell on the bad, and carry our new information and experiences into our next shift of life wherever that may take us.

Congratulations Class of December 2009. We made it!




Later, some of us went to the Season Ticket for drinks and so I could meet Juston who Camey and Owen are trying to set me up with. After that we met up with more people at Zola's. It was a fun night. Great for graduation.




Oh and by the way I also get to go to Vegas Friday morning with Josh! His friend Leah couldn't go so I get to. I am making out like a bandit this last week and a half. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment