Friday, October 30, 2009

Clinical- stroke and dementia

So today I had clinical again at Holy Family. I was up on the ACU floor. My patient had a stroke the previous day. She also had dementia. It made for a very tiring day. She was in restraints because she kept trying to get up being that she didn't recall she had a stroke. It was very tiring to keep her in bed especially when she had to go to the bathroom. She insisted she could get up to go since she did not remember she had suffered a stroke. The stroke had small symptoms so I think she was lucky in that respect, but she of course already had the dementia. Her family was really good though. The patient also ripped her IV out. We were lucky she had another one except it was anticubital and kept making the IV pump think there was a distal occlusion when she bent her arm. Anyways it would have been an easy day if I/we didn't have to "wrestle" the patient. I definitely give kudos to her family for still taking care of her. It must be hard at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment