Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day


Today is Veteran's Day. I have many mixed feelings about today. I am glad we have people willing to give their lives to the service of our country. I just don't feel our country gives them enough back. I now know of at least 4 young men around my age who have been affected by PTSD from this ongoing war in the middle east. One is afraid of loud noises like fireworks. Another has dreams. He wakes up and realizes he has been messing with his gun in his sleep. He drinks and does drugs to try to cover these things in his mind. He can't get proper help or counseling from the VA.I worry he will do something he doesn't really mean to. Another I know also uses alcohol to cover his PTSD. He has bad dreams. The latest young man I learned about having PTSD died yesterday after battling with life for 4-5 months after trying to commit suicide by shooting himself. He was married with a wife and little girl.

I hate that our VA services don't seem to be able to handle this returning problem with PTSD or they make it very very difficult for the soldiers to get help.

As I said before I am grateful for these people and their families who sacrifice. Thank you for your sacrifices; body, mind, and soul. I think about you more than this one day a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment